Saturday, August 22, 2015

...and then this happened.

Although I feel content in the knowledge that I have been present throughout my children's lives, the time just slips away so fast. First they are starting preschool and one blink later, they're driving off together to high school.  A freshman and a senior. Just like that. I knew this day would come, but I didn't know that it would come so fast.


I tend to take a lot of time off of social media, sometimes with warning and other times without. I know that time is fleeting and the more I am present in the lives of those I love, the better off we all are. This is an interesting era with so much "screen time" in our lives. It takes a conscious effort to not make our smart phones a priority. I have always had a rule in our home regarding eye contact while communicating with those in front of you. If I need to talk to someone who is texting, face booking, etc. I will wait until they can look at me before I have a conversation with them. I think it's the respectful thing to do and I hope that my kids carry this lesson throughout their lives. Be present with those you're with and be present in each moment. Enjoy life without sharing it with the virtual world as you go. Just be where you are when you're there and appreciate the precious, fleeting moments because once they have passed, you can't get them back. But you will always have the memories of having experienced them. If your face isn't buried in a screen. 


This was my son's first day and my daughter's last first day of high school. It wasn't easy watching them drive off! I will miss the car rides to school with them. It was always a great time to catch up.

I am proud of my kids and the people they have become. It's time to let them spread their wings and make their way in the world. I'm honored to be their mom and I look forward to seeing them continue to grow and flourish. They know that I will always be here for them. All of me. Completely present.

1 comment: